A tranquil true farm-style break-away in the Vredefort Dome
Desiderius per Flumen is a very exclusive and private break-away destination situated in the world's largest meteor impact heritage site known as the Vredefort Dome. Desiderius per Flumen is approximately 26 km from Parys and 30 km from Potchefstroom in the tranquil rural area known as Venterskroon a historic hamlet that dates from the 19th century.
Feel at home in one of our suites, especially designed to create a warm and homely farm atmosphere. Choose from either a standard or self-catering suite. The fully equipped accommodation consists of four double bedrooms, tastefully decorated and serviced daily, which will comfortably house a maximum of eight people.
Desiderius per Flumen is ideally suited for intimate getaways with friends and/or family in a very private facility.
The country atmosphere is removed from the hustle and bustle, polluted air and noise we experience every day in the city. Technology from a bygone era like a warm water donkey, candlelight and stove kettles is still part of your life here. Nevertheless, the facilities are of outstanding quality so as not to sacrifice luxury and comfort.
The daily rates are inclusive of accommodation and breakfast and access to the river. Meals are prepared and served in the traditional culture of the Afrikaans household.
Your host is always available to ensure that you have a memorable stay. At Desiderius we are passionate about quality that is why the owner, your host, personally prepares all meals. You can enjoy a delicious breakfast in our cosy farm style dining room and dinner is available on pre-order as an additional extra.
The view from the verandas, dining room and some of the bedrooms flows over the grass terraces and Vaal River against the backdrop of the koppies in the Vredefort Dome. The bird life on the river includes Egyptian Geese, Herons, Africa Yellow Bill Ducks and Fish Eagles. Red-billed Hoopoes, Pigeons, Sparrows, Blue and Red Canaries, Woodpeckers, Kingfishers and many more bird species visit the garden on a daily basis.
Come and enjoy the landscape that was formed millions of years ago by a meteorite, ten kilometres in diameter that struck the earth at approximately 60 000 km/hr. This incident and the natural decay of the impact site created the Vredefort Dome (see *http://www.southafrica.info/about/geography/vredefort-080605.htm) as it exists today.
* Acknowledgement to www.southafrica.info for the use of this link.
Places of interest and activities in the area:
- The historic offices of the Gold Comissioner (built in 1879), which then became the Police Station and are now used as the Information Centre. More information about the World Heritage Site, its rock formations and ecosystem is available here.
- The Old Imperial Inn in Venterskroon and Wedding venues
- The Cheetah Breeding Project
- Quad bike, 4x4 and Walking trails
- Tourist attractions in Parys and Potchefstroom
- For more information about Parys and Vredefort Dome’s activities, arts & crafts please consult www.parys.co.za
- Koepel Mega Zip
- Adventure Lisa's Forest Run http://www.forestrun.co.za
- See Location page for more details